Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Where are you?





Where are you right now? Are you appreciating the fact that you are there? Or, like me do you usually have your face buried in facebook, or wikipedia or some other entertainment on your "smart phone"?

I'm resolving to take more time to look around once in a while and truly experience the places I am. To see the different people around me and enjoy the diversity of the cultures I am surrounded with in Southern California.

I want to be a part of this world, not just walk aimlessly through it with my head down, oblivious to the fact that life is being lived right now, in front of me in the interaction between a mother and her daughter. In the old couple across the room, who are so comfortable with each other that as he rises and reaches out his hand to her, she reaches out with hers without looking, knowing his will be there to meet hers. The couple having the spat in the corner, her with arms crossed over her chest in defiance as he glares angrily at her and the man, standing of by himself alone, dressed in a business suit, with his eyes glued to the screen of his Blackberry, not noticing where he IS.

The sounds of cars, the smell of cut grass that always reminds me of my grandpa, the feel of the wind gently caressing your cheek as it passes by. Do you really want to miss that? I don't. So where ARE you right now?

1 comment:

  1. I am trying daily to stay present to the beauty and wonder all around me - in my children, in nature, in the people who cross my path, and I ask that God reveal to me His true love and grace in all that I do and see. It is truly powerful to stay present and engaged in the "little moments" of life. My children taught me how to do this...and it provides such peace and healing and strength - to keep going with the next moment, and the next, and so on... So that is my goal - each day....that is where I want to "be."

    ReplyDelete