Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Who are you?


I posted on my facebook page yesterday asking people to take a minute and tell me what they do for a living. I was amused and amazed with the responses I got back. I expected things like, "nurse", "administrator", "stay-at-home-mom". I was intrigued to see instead posts like this one from Ally: I am a mommy to 4 year old twins, a Christian, a fiancé (hehehe), a partner, a daughter, a sister, a friend, a poet, a writer, a singer, a reader, a constant student...and to earn a paycheck, I am an HR Employee Relations Manager currently working in the fitness industry.

Or the one from Bonnie: A mom! and a banking consultant, or these:
Alicia - Mommy of 5, and in my spare time, Captain's Secretary.
Jeanna - Wife, mom of 2 (son who is 25 and daughter 15), nurse who works as a director of quality management and a wanna be chef.

Coco - Mom, wife, chef, seamstress, nurse, milking cow. Hahaha I think I'm funny. :)
and Tracy - Mom of 3.. partner of 1. Teacher of 20!!!

These made me laugh (yes, Coco you are funny) but then I stopped and really thought about how incredibly cool it is that people are able to think of themselves in so many different ways. How what we do is not the definition of who we are.

For so many years if someone asked me what I did, I would say, "I'm a graphic designer" now I might answer "marketing director". But I really am more than that. I'm a friend, a photographer, a dork, a lover, a blogger, a facebook addict, an aunt, a sister, a cousin, a niece, a daughter.

I'm a democrat who leans right sometimes, I'm a wanna-be existentialist, I'm a Mormon. I'm a pack-rat who wishes she was a minimalist. I'm an artist with no talent for art, a singer who can't sing, a dancer with no rhythm. I'm a lesbian who forgets it's not "normal", so I get confused by the stares sometimes.

I'm a snappy dresser, I'm a health addict, I'm a fat person who wants to be skinny, I'm a terrible liar. I'm depressed, I'm bi-polar and I have PTSD and ADD. I'm hard to live with. I'm blessed to have someone who loves me despite it all. I'm a victim, I'm a survivor. I'm obsessive, I'm dismissive, I'm complicated and I'm simple. I really am just me. Who are you?

1 comment:

  1. Wow Sherri I really love reading your blog. I love the honesty. I too suffer with a couple mental illnesses, which I have a hard time admitting to. But after being hospitalized twice and on meds and therapy I'm happy to say I'm doing better. The realization that we are NOT like our mothers is BIG and SO such a relief. I'm finally able to do "some" of the "good things" my mom did, and not be afraid of being like her.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete